Solomon Football > News > Telekom S-League 2013 > Solomon Warriors 3 – Western United 1

Solomon Warriors 3 – Western United 1

It was a strong performance from Solomon Warriors who did not have their full strength line-up today due to the religious engagement of some of their key players. That, however, did little to tamper down the potency of the remaining flock who worked up another memorable win for the ‘men in red’.
Western United were dealt two big blows in the first half which saw the team struggle to regain confidence and organisation. Captain and defender, Aleck Wickham, was forced out quarter way into the match due to a hamstring injury and a few minutes later his goalkeeper also had to be replaced. This left Western United disadvantaged in defence and Solomon Warriors took full advantage of the predicament of their opponents.
Just like in their last match it was winger Moffat Kilifa who opened the scoring. Western United goalkeeper, Navusu Kitu, was forced out of his line by an earlier shot but the ball was quickly played to Kilifa who scored with a drop shot. This helped the defending champions to a slender 1-0 lead going into the break.
The second half opened evenly as did the first half but it was Western United who came out on the attack. While they managed to get more of the ball up front they still could not go past the wall of Solomon Warriors defenders. As a result they were forced to shoot from distance.
Solomon Warriors patiently waited for the next opening to come and once they got the opportunity they pounced. Tigi Molea slipped past Michael Boso to finish a through pass to take the score-line to 2-0 in favour of Solomon Warriors in the 68th minute. Just two minutes ill discipline saw Dennis Ifunaoa break into the Western United penalty box and score from close range.
The punishment did not end for Western United who saw Totori receive a red card for a dangerous tackle on Emmanuel Poila. This means that his services will be missed when Western United play X-Beam in the fifth round of the competition. The only plus for Western United in the match was Himson Teleda’s consolation goal in the 88th minute.
The result keeps Solomon Warriors on top of the 2013 Telekom S-League table with 12 points. Western United are in the sixth position with only two points following the forfeit of their match against Malaita Kingz in the opening round of the competition.
See below play by play summary:
0’ The match kicks off
3’ A cross from Moffat Kilifa goes to waste as it crosses the empty Western United goal face
8’ Western United walk through a string of passes but the final effort from Benjamin Totori is wide
21’ Western United captain Aleck Wickham limps off the pitch with what appears to be a hamstring injury
22’ Solomon Warriors almost get on the scoreboard but Jerry Donga shoots wide under pressure from Navusu Kitu
25’ The referee calls a water break to allow the teams to cool off
34’ A cross from Gibson Daudau ends up with Kitu
38’ Goal Solomon Warriors 1 – Western United 0: Winger Kilifa breaks the deadlock with a chip over Kitu
40’ Western United first choice goalkeeper is replaced by Bernard Akuila
45’ Fives minutes of additional time will be played.
The first half ends
The second half starts
51’ Himson Teleda tries a shot from distance but goes wide
63’ Dennis Ifunaoa forces a good save from Akuila after easily beating Abraham Maezama
68’ Goal Solomon Warriors 2 – Western United 0: Solomon Warriors register a buffer goal courtesy of midfielder Tigi Molea
70’ Goal Solomon Warriors 3 – Western United 0: Ifunaoa puts Solomon Warriors further in front with a shot to the roof of the net
79’ Red card: Totori is given his marching orders after a bad tackle on Emmanuel Poila
88’ Goal Solomon Warriors 3 – Western United 1: Teleda scores a consolation goal for Western United
90’ Fives minutes of stoppage time will be played
90’ + 2’ Solomon Warriors win a free kick at the edge of the box after a foul on Kilifa. Judd Molea goes directly for goal but sends his attempt wide.
The match ends

Related posts