Solomon Football > News > Telekom S-League 2013 > Hana 1 – Western United 2

Hana 1 – Western United 2

Employing more coordination and free-flowing football Western United appeared better organised and more hungry for victory than in their previous outings this season. While Benjamin Totori was the obvious star inof the team, there was a more even distribution of the ball allowing to unknowns to get on the scoreboard.
Despite starting ferociously Western United were held back until the 23rd minute when the Hana defenders lost concentration and allowed Olodin Arawa to sneak past them. The midfielder belted his shot past Timothy Maerasia who stood in for Hana’s first choice keeper, Peter Kiriau.
Minutes later Hana almost equalised save for some quality goalkeeping from Navusu Kitu. Boni Pride, one of the up and coming strikers of the Telekom S-League, easily beat his marker and slipped into the Western United penalty box scot-free but Kitu came out running to cut the angle and block the shot.
The second stanza featured the same fight from both clubs displayed in the first half. Western United were as equally desperate in extending their lead as Hana were in trying to equalise.
A chance to go further in front was offered to Western United when they were awarded a controversial penalty by referee Nelson Sogo. Totori took the kick and scored the first time but was ordered to retake the kick after one of his own players encroached. Totori’s second attempt was sent too high and the relief from the Hana bench was loud.
Hana used the positive momentum from the missed penalty kick to mount a renewed offensive on the Western United goal. This saw them equalise in the 71st minute through Samuel Samani who headed in a cross at the far post.
Now with the game wide open both sides tried to gain the upper hand by keeping pressure on the other but at times poor finishing coupled with some fine goalkeeping from both Kitu and Maerasia held the stalemate for another 10 minutes.
Western United clinched the winner through substitute, Joel Vinivo, in the 82nd minute from a rebound shot taken from just inside the Hana penalty box.
The win moves Western United up to the fifth position with six points where they sit behind Solomon Warriors, KOSSA, X-Beam and Koloale. Hana who also have six points slip to sixth place on the back of this result.
The match between Solomon Warriors and Marist was not played due to a pending disciplinary decision against the latter club.
Hana: 1 (Samuel Samani 71′)
Western United: 2 (Olodin Arawa 23′, Joel Vinivo 82′)
Half-time: 0-1
Play-by-play Summary:
0’ The match commences
5’ Western United are starting stronger than Hana
20’ Robson Zelot misses from inside the penalty box
23’ Goal Hana 0 – Western United 1: Olodin Arawa scores his first S-League to give Western United the lead
27’ Boni Pride beats his marker and turns for goal but Navusu Kitu comes out to block the shot
45’ Two minutes of stoppage time will be played
The first half ends
The second half starts
47’ A penalty is awarded to Western United quite controversially according to spectators. Benjamin Totori takes the kick but is attempt is well above the crossbar
69’ Totori sneaks a shot past the Hana defence but Timothy Maerasia goes low quickly to make a save
71’ Goal Hana 1 – Western United 1: Samuel Samani heads home a cross to equalise for Hana
74’ Maerasia makes another good save
82’ Goal Hana 1 – Western United 2: Substitute Joel Vinivo scores from a rebound taken just inside the penalty box
89’ Totori shoots from a tight angle but Maerasia reads well and saves
90’ Four minutes of stoppage time is signalled
The match ends

Related posts