Solomon Football > News > Our Telekom kids football festival > Kids festival Day 3 sees big upsets

Kids festival Day 3 sees big upsets

Once again SIFF Academy North and South fields came alive with excited children preparing for their matches as kick off time approached.
The sun was out and in full force and organizers were out trying to ensure that the players were getting enough water. Fortunately, a steady cool breeze from the east kept the temperature friendly.
Pool A Summary (SIFF Academy North Park)
1:30pm: Chung Primary School of Honiara registered their first victory at the expense of Kulu Primary School. Most of the match was evenly played but Ravin Ako’s strike just before halftime put Chung Wah in the lead and they held on to that until the match ended.
2:00pm: Poitete Primary School from the Western Province took Lilura Primary of Isabel in the 2:00pm match. Despite putting up their best efforts they could only manage a 0 – 0 draw. They tried to get the advantage against their bigger opponents but tough defending from Lilura kept it all quiet on the scoreboard.
2:30pm: The biggest upset of the championship came early in the afternoon. Parego Primary School saw Group A favorites, Gwaigeo of Malaita Province, to their first defeat in the competition. The lone goal came from the boot of Don Waoha in the third minute.
Gwaigeo are now at risk of meeting the second Malaita school in the semifinals. A prospect their coach, George Foli, was uncomfortable with.
3:30pm: After only managing only 1-all draw against Lilura in their earlier match Poitete came back strongly later in the afternoon to defeat Ogho Primary School of Choiseul by 2 to 1. Alex Tobomana put Ogho in front in the first minute but hard work from Poitete saw them come back to win the match. Kevin Foli equalized just after half time before Beverlyn Pabulu put the score line to their favour with her goal halfway through the second half.
4:00pm: Parego extended their lead in Group A with a convincing win over Chung Wah in both schools’ second match of the day. Their 4 – 0 victory has all but sealed their position as the top school in their group. Parego’s goals came from Don Waoha, Avis Hiru, Julian Tamasia and Bernard Tamasia. Tamasia again was the key player for Parego using both his speed and his accuracy to create opportunities for his team mates as well for himself.
4:30pm: Gwaigeo were disappointed with their earlier loss to Parego but they made sure they stay within contention of the second round with a 2 – 0 win over Lilura in their second match of the day. Both goals came from Augustine Kafula late in the second half.
Pool B Summary (SIFF Academy South Park)
1:30pm: Group B registered their big upset in the just the first match of the day. Pokilo Primary School, from the volcanic island of Savo in the Central Province defeated might St. John Primary School of Honiara 1 to nil. St. John appeared to be the stronger team but a clever long ball from Daniel Sakua found its way into the back of the net and gave his side a consolation win.
2:00pm: The second Group B match for Day 3 was between Rennel Bellona primary school, Vanua, and Paqoe. Vanua proved that they are improving each day holding Paqoe down to claim at least a point in their match.
2:30pm: Kilusakwalo could not repeat their dominance of the first 2 days in Group B and finished their meeting with Tamboko of Guadalcanal Province 0 – 0. Kilusakwalo had more of the ball and created more opportunities but Tamboko were able to frustrate them with man to man marking.
3:30pm: Paqoe was Pokilo’s second appointment for the day and they were looking to repeat their surprise win against St. John earlier in the afternoon. Unfortunately for them Paqoe was first on the scoreboard through Bendley Ziusaru just before halftime. John Baulo equalized for Pokilo late in the match.
4:00pm: After an embarrassing loss earlier in the day St. John bounced back to ascertain itself as a top contender for Group B. Technically the encounter was a mismatch and St. John controlled play from start to finish. A double strike from John Siama plus Charlie Paul’s contribution helped St. John to their 3 – 0 victory.
4:30pm: Marou Bay emerged as one of the contenders for Group B with a hard fought 3 – 0 win over Vanua who remain winless after 3 days of competition. Within seconds of kickoff Justin Mana caught the Vanua goalie by surprise to score from a powerful low shot. Mana again scored twice for his team in the final minutes to wrap up Marou Bay’s 3 to nothing win.

Related posts