Solomon Football > News > Telekom S-League Championship Series > Koloale qualify for championship final

Koloale qualify for championship final

It was the clash of the titans as the two giants of Honiara football took the field. Koloale were in their usual green and KOSSA in their famous yellow. A sizeable crowd was out to witness the game and cheers were on right from the kickoff whistle.
The opening minutes pretty much went down to script as neither side was able to better the other past the midfield area. Koloale were not finding the pace that devastated their opponents in their earlier matches while KOSSA were not pushing as hard as they could leaving a huge gap between their forwards and the midfield. The first goal-worthy shot of the match came 18 minutes into play from Paul Wale who stole a loose ball in the box and went for goal but was denied by the post.
Nicholas Muri was offered a golden opportunity when a free ball landed at his feet with the goalkeeper beaten but somehow his shot went too high. It was a big let off for Koloale because they had 3 defenders chasing the ball but none got to it and the goalmouth was free but still Muri missed.
A similar opportunity was put to waste at the other end of the field as Benjamin Totori sent his attempt across the face of goal with only the keeper to beat. Ian Paia was involved setting up Totori with a lovely return pass which put the striker behind the KOSSA defenders but he did not hit the ball well.
The second half was an even contest until Joses Nawo put Koloale in front with a header from Henry Fa’arodo Jnr.’s pinpoint cross. The flanker had to cover some distance to get the ball but his final touch was good enough to beat Severino Aefi.
Just 2 minutes later Koloale were 2 nil in front. A free kick was conceded by KOSSA in the Koloale half and the restart set up a goal for the young forward. Picking a pass from Totori, Paia quickly turned and hammered the ball in the back of the net. The Koloale bench erupted with Paia’s goal as they knew that it would be the all important buffer if KOSSA managed to score.
After that Koloale were in command of the game as they found their rhythm of flowing passes and were constantly pushing forward in the search for more goals. KOSSA were pushed back to defend but occasionally they threatened Koloale with a shot. One of those shots came from futsal star Micah Lea’alafa who beat Samson Takayama before going for goal but his shot turned away at the last moment.
Koloale looked like they were going to extend their lead as the game headed towards full time but the KOSSA defenders were able to repel their advances. Several good saves were also forced from the KOSSA keeper and Koloale were unfortunate not to add to their haul.
Full time brought cheers of joy from the Koloale players and supporters but for the KOSSA camp it was the opposite. The momentum of their turnaround in the later stages of the season was not able to take them beyond Koloale. They still, however, have the chance to claim back something for their efforts in the third/fourth place final.
Solomon Warriors will meet Western United in the second semi final which is scheduled for 3pm this afternoon.

Related posts