Solomon Football > News > Telekom S-League > Telekom S-League Round 2 Review

Telekom S-League Round 2 Review

Real Kakamora 0 –Marist Fire 2: Marist Fire opened the round with a 2 – 0 win over Real Kakamora to claim the top spot in the table at least until Koloale regained the lead following their victory over KOSSA later in the week. Marist Fire still have not found the right rhythm for their attack but they were able to get the job done against a Makira Ulawa side that is still yet to come up with a combination that works for them. Bentley Nalangu continued his fine performance in the TSL with Marist Fire’s first goal in the 25th minute and their second came from the boot of Jerry Sam who curved in a shot following a short corner taken by Abraham Maezama late in the game. Marist Fire could have scored more goals but they did take not their chances as they came and this might prove costly when tallying points. Real Kakamora are improving slightly and more improvement from them is expected in their third match.
Koloale 7 – KOSSA 2: Match 2 of the second round was a big fixture between former O-League finalists Koloale and KOSSA. A tough match was expected but reality was a far more one sided affair with Koloale stealing the show with their 7 – 2 victory over KOSSA. Koloale dominated proceedings throughout the match save for the dying minutes which saw KOSSA grab 2 quick goals to improve the disparity. Koloale scored 3 goals within the first 15 minutes of the game with 2 contributions coming from Ian Paia and another from Lency Saeni. Two (2) more goals came, both from the boot of Benjamin Totori, before the halftime breather offered KOSSA a break from the Koloale onslaught. KOSSA improved in the second half and played more strongly but could not stop Koloale from getting another 2 through Totori and Mostyn Beui respectively. KOSSA’s consolation goals were scored by Clifford Wate and James Egeta.
Solomon Warriors 2 – Hana 2: The result of this fixture between one of the biggest clubs in the Telekom S-League, Solomon Warriors, and relative minnow, Hana, was a surprise as most expected it to be an easy win for the Solomon Warriors. However, Hana stole the show quite early in the game by repeatedly pressuring Solomon Warriors for the opening goal. Solomon Warriors proved to be tough in defence so it was until the 38th minute that Hana’s Tony Otini broke the deadlock. Down 1 – 0 Solomon Warriors upped its game in the second half and equalised from a Kidston Billy taken penalty. Hana, however, proved resilient and regained the lead in the 71st minute through Otini again sparking hopes that they could win the game. Unfortunately for them, Solomon Warriors came back firing and levelled terms at the stroke of fulltime through speedy forward Dennis Ifunaoa.
Western United 2 – 0 Malaita Kingz: This encounter between the 2 provincial clubs was one of the most entertaining matches of the second round of the Telekom S-League. Despite the score line the 2 sides were evenly matched and it was the hands of Western United goalkeeper, Felix Ray Jnr., that proved to be the difference with the numerous saves he made to deny Malaita Kingz any points from the game. Malaita Kingz were busy from the opening minutes and played excellently in defence and could have just as easily been the winning side. The first half was scoreless despite all the action on the field but Malaita Kingz had a slight upper hand in terms of the scoring chances they had. Western United played with more purpose in the second half and they took the lead in 74th minute from a Michael Boso header. The lead was extended to 2 – 0 when Nathan Kera scored from a Coleman Makau setup with 9 minutes left on the clock.
After the results from Round 2 it is Koloale who is leading the table with 6 points ahead of Marist Fire who also have 6 points but sit behind the leaders because of the leader’s superior goal difference. The strongest performer is of course Koloale who followed up their 4 – 0 win over Hana in the first round with their 7 – 2 statement over KOSSA.
Hana put up a much more improved performance against the Solomon Warriors to register their first point of the season much to the credit of their striker Tony Otini who kept going until the final whistle. The Solomon Warriors line up against Hana was not so different from their 2 – 2 draw with KOSSA in the opening round but somehow their combinations did not come into place and they will be looking to improve when they meet Malaita Kingz next Sunday.
Both Western United and Malaita Kingz marked the second round with better performances and they will be thorns the big clubs will need to look out for as the season rolls on. Real Kakamora is the only club not to have registered any point after round 2 and they will be looking to improve but their next match is against KOSSA and winning certainly will be a far from straightforward task for them.

Related posts