Solomon Football > News > FIFA 2012 Futsal World Cup&0153; > Kurukuru record maiden victory

Kurukuru record maiden victory

Entering the game on the back of significantly sized losses to Russia and Colombia earlier in the competition the Kurukuru had nothing to lose save for their pride. However, the team was composed before kickoff and were determined not to make the same mistakes they made in their first 2 matches.
Forty minutes later they were celebrating the biggest win of their lives so far. The significance of the victory can be fully appreciated when it is realised that Guatemala qualified second from the CONCACAF region and have been champions of their confederation before.
The triumph was appreciated by none other than head coach Dickson Kadau who admitted he was forced into soul searching after the losses to Russia and Colombia.
“I am very happy with this win because it shows that we are doing something right – now we can be confident that we are going in the right direction even if we are now out of the world cup,” Kadau says.
“I am proud of the boys today because they followed our instructions closely and they played smartly and controlled their emotions. The boys were united in our game today and our plan worked for us.”
Goalkeeper Anthony Talo, who is already a national hero, dedicated the winning goal he scored to fellow Solomon Islanders back home.
“I want to dedicate my goal to all the people back home – to our supporters and our families. I cannot describe how I am feeling at the moment, it is the best feeling ever for me,” an ecstatic Talo says.
Estuardo De Leon put Guatemala in front after 8 minutes when he finished a rapidly composed piece of play. However, this goal was cancelled out when George Stevenson beat the Guatemalan goalkeeper with a shot to the near post after James Egeta set him up.
Solomon Islands then went in front 2 minutes later when Jeffery Bule slotted the Kurukuru’s second following a through pass from his captain Elliot Ragomo to give Solomon Islands a 2-1 lead over the Central Americans.
The second half opened with a bang as both sides tried to control proceedings and things seemed to swing in Guatemala’s way when Alan Aguilar levelled terms in the 22nd minute. The Guatemalans then went on to dominate the following spell of play and almost grabbed the lead several times but made could not get their finishing right.
Micah Lea’alafa then restored the lead for Solomon Islands in the 28th minute from a counter attack. Once again, it was Egeta who set the goal up this time he used a long pass to the unmarked Lea’alafa who beat the goalkeeper with a low shot.
With 5 minutes left on the clock the Guatemalans employed their power-play system in an attempt to regain control of the match. This, however, left them exposed in defence and Talo made them pay for it when he went directly for goal with a goal kick and found the back of the net with 4 minutes left on the clock.
Solomon Islands were now 4-2 in front at this stage but Guatemala still had time to win and the alarm bells went ringing when Walter Enriquez scored to bring his side was back in the game late in the match. However, his goal came too late and Guatemalan hopes for a draw were quashed just seconds later with the sounding of the fulltime buzzer.
The result does not have any bearing for Solomon Islands regarding qualification but Guatemala will exit because of it. The 2 teams that will qualify for the second round from Group F are Russia and debutants Colombia.
Solomon Islands will leave Thailand on Sunday for the 32 hour journey back home. They will arrive in Honiara on Monday.

Related posts