Solomon Football > News > Telekom S-League Championship Series > Koloale held but still through

Koloale held but still through

Koloale won the first leg 7 – 1 and the match was supposed to be another walkover for the star studded side. Reality, however, was another story as the league champions were made to work hard for every gain they made on the pitch.
The result, however, does not matter at least in terms of qualifying for the semi finals courtesy of Koloale’s hefty 8 – 2 aggregate and they have booked their spot in the semis against KOSSA. Only their confidence will be the casualty and they will need to be at 100 per cent against this improving side who saw their way past Hana by 8 – 3 on aggregate.
Real Kakamora were the underdogs and had no pressure on them but they looked like the better side in the opening stanza at least. They were the first to go for goal through Paul Hiri who was rather unfortunate to see his shot go wide. Lyson Wate also went in for a good attempt but could not beat the keeper.
Koloale started slower and found it difficult to find a way past the Real Kakamora backline. When they did however they were let down by a lack of sharing at the front. Benjamin Totori could have offered the ball for sure goals to his partner up front but did not and thus they missed out on the chance to take the lead early.
However, it was only a matter of time before they got in front and it was Ian Paia who provided the goal. The youngster saw space between the keeper and the post and took his chance from distance to find the back of the net for his eleventh of the season and give the lead to his side before the halftime break.
Real Kakamora came back in the second half with a renewed determination to finish on a high note and looked threatening against Koloale right from the restart. Drawing Koloale out of their defensive zone was easily done and this allowed them space to slot through passes to the forwards. However, patience was not the keyword for their day and many a good ball was wasted due to players being caught out by the offside trap.
Still Real Kakamora kept their resolve going and the breakthrough came in the 63rd minute. Wate who had missed several chances in the first half made sure it went right this time beating Eddie Ramo with a first time shot.
Koloale were staring down the face of an embarrassing draw against a club placed bottom in the league table and they fought for more goals to secure a win but they just would not come. Totori could turn on the magic and run past several opponents but he was given little space to shoot.
The referee’s final whistle came with the cheers of Real Kakamora fans who were proud of their team’s performance against Koloale. A draw is as good enough as a win in their books and no finish could better this one.
Koloale will need to regroup for their semi clash with KOSSA as this will be no easy affair as well. Their meeting on Wednesday is touted as a must see match for fans and a big crowd is expected to turn up for it.

Related posts