Solomon Football > News > Our Telekom National U-20 Championship 2010 > Choiseul blast past Honiara into grand final

Choiseul blast past Honiara into grand final

A win for Choiseul was seen as an outside chance but their performance against the Solomon Islands national U-20 training squad dominated Honiara side was nothing less than outstanding with supporters getting a feast of goals none could have expected walking into Lawson Tama for the match.
As expected Honiara kicked off the match quite well and dominated possession as well as time in their opponent’s half and Cornelly Rata almost found the back of the net in the 9th minute.
Eight (8) minutes later Honiara’s hard work drew rewards with Paul Hiri scoring for the fourth time in the competition with a powerful short range shot.
Choiseul reacted to Honiara’s goal with urgency and they started to mount pressure on the Honiara back line which was buckling under the repeated onslaught from the left and right flanks.
Elliot Ragomo was especially dominating against Honiara but Choiseul’s forwards were unlucky until the 30th minute when Coleman Makau fired from just inside the 18 yard box to equalise 1 – 1.
Within 2 minutes Dickson Ramo put Choiseul in front after picking the ball before Honiara goalkeeper, Samson Koti, could recover from a rebound before sending it into the back of the net.
Add another 4 minutes and Choiseul were 3 – 1 in front, this time it was the efforts of Dennis Ifunaoa who headed in a cross from Makau who did extremely well to break free from his marker before sending in the cross.
Choiseul wrapped up an excellent first half performance and all but sealed their victory with Ifunaoa’s second goal of the match in the 43rd minute.
The second half saw desperate attempts from Honiara to get back in the game but Choiseul were solid at the back as they were in front.
Rata and Hiri worked hard up front but the Choiseul defenders were able to repel their attack and on occasions forcing errors upon the Honiara forwards.
To make matters worse for Honiara, Makau gave Choiseul a 4 goal buffer with a strike from just over the halfway line to score his second of the match and his side’s fifth.
Further efforts came from Honiara in the dying minutes but a stubborn Choiseul defence line kept denying them until the referee signalled the end of the match.
Choiseul will meet Malaita in the grand final tomorrow while Honiara will take on Isabel in the third/fourth place final.
The third/fourth place final will kick off at 1:00pm and the grand final match will start at 3:00pm.
Match officials: Referee – John SA’OHU; Assistant Referee 1 – Jackson AKOE’ASI; Assistant Referee 2 – Noel BERRY; Fourth official – Nelson SOGO
Choiseul: Dennis IFUNAOA, Peter KIRIAU, Jackson AKWAI, Ian SIDA, George STEVENSON, Colman MAKAU, Augustine SAMANI, Dickson RAMO, Himson TELEDA, Elliot RAGOMO, James EGETA Subs: Moffat SIKWA’AE, Robson SISIATA, John MISITANA, Nelson FISHER, Rickson MAKA, Jeffrey RITI, Ben HIBISCUS
Coach: Eddie RUKUMANA
Honiara: Samson KOTI, Emmanuel POILA, Ralph KERA, Michael BOSO, Brian PETER, Michael SIRA, Johnson WANEFAI, Leonard ROKOTO, Cornelly RATA, Paul HIRI, Alson RONGOSULIA Subs: Polycarp BONAVE, Scott PUIRANA, Clifford MALEFO, Molea TIGI, Remax KWARIA, Joseph LOSI, Larry SEA
Coach: John BERRY
Goals: Paul HIRI [HON] 17’; Coleman MAKAU [CHO] 30’, 68’; Dickson RAMO [CHO] 32’; Dennis IFUNAOA [CHO] 36’, 43’
Cautions: Brian PETER [HON] 33’; Dickson RAMO [CHO] 43’; Michael SIRA [HON] 88’
Expulsions: Nil

Related posts