Solomon Football > News > Our Telekom National Beach Soccer Championship > Honiara West, Makira Ulawa Sharks steer clear

Honiara West, Makira Ulawa Sharks steer clear

The sun burning down on DC Park was relentless and no mercy came from the sea breeze that kept the sand flying onto spectators throughout the day. However, the perfect antidote proved to be the quality of the beach soccer on the pitch.
Match No. 5 Group B Guadalcanal Vali v. Makira Ulawa Eels (5 – 4 a.e.t.)
The first match to kickoff saw Guadalcanal Vali win their first national beach soccer match while their opponents Makira Ulawa Eels fell to their second straight defeat.
Led by Henry Padaverana in goal, Guadalcanal Vali took to the first break a 1 – nil lead courtesy of Junior Alley’s goal. They maintained their clean sheet in the second third while adding another goal through Alley again to expand their safety net.
The final third, proved, to be a challenge for Padaverana’s boys as they allowed their opponents to come back into the game. Jackin Manogi struck thrice for Makira Ulawa Eels and Gordon Pato added one more to force the match into extra-time. Padaverana was on target twice for his team to ensure they were not overcome by the Makira Ulawa Eels comeback.
The extra 3 minutes were tightly contested by both sides and the match looked like it was heading into a penalty shootout. However, a last second strike from Milton Luvusia saw Guadalcanal Vali take home the win.
Match No. 6 Group A Central Islands v. Makira Ulawa Sharks (4 – 5 a.e.t.)
The match between Central Islands and Makira Ulawa Sharks was delayed for 1 hour due to concerns about the heat of the sand and its effect on the feet of the players. All hands were on deck as the field crew went about to water the pitch before the match was allowed to kickoff.
Featuring James Naka in their line-up Central Islands sank Western Kikios yesterday with an extra-time goal and today even 36 minutes was not enough to separate them from their highly favoured opponents. Naka gave Central Islands a 1-nil lead and silence from their opponents meant that they took the first third. The contest came alive in the second third when Matthias Saru levelled the scores and by its end Makira Ulawa Sharks were 3 – 1 leaders. Cecil Buru added two to take the smile away from the Central Islands bench and give his side some much needed confidence.
Naka made sure Central Islands were still in the fight with a clever chip from distance but his Bilikiki teammate on the opposite side, Nicholas Muri, kept his side’s advantage alive with Makira Ulawa Sharks fourth goal. However, Central Islands pushed hard to get back in the game and Jack Wasi’s goal plus Harrison Mala’s strike 10 seconds from time ensured they had 3 more minutes to fight for the win.
Unfortunately for Central Islands, they ended the game disappointed as they saw Buru complete his hat trick with what proved to be the winning goal.
Match No. 7 Group B Honiara West v. Northern United (6 – 3)
The last time these 2 sides met the result was one sided with Honiara dominating all aspects of the match. That was a little over 12 months ago in the grand final of the 2010 edition of the Our Telekom National Beach Soccer Championship. This year Northern United were able to put up a strong challenge and only just missed out on winning the contest.
Honiara West raced off to a 3 to nothing lead in the first third courtesy of goals from Michael Misitana (2) and Luke Kabitana (1). Northern United showed that they were not going to relent easily by scoring 3 goals in the second period but Honiara West added another 2 to keep themselves at a safe distance as they matched out for the second break with a 5 – 3 lead.
The final third was more evenly contested but Honiara West had already done the job in the first 2 thirds and the final goal was a mere formality as they finished the game with a confident 6 – 3 win.
Match No. 8 Group A Western Kikio v. Honiara East (5 – 4)
Western United were on a mission to regain some pride this afternoon after their defeat to Central Islands in extra time yesterday but they were lucky not be on the wrong side of the score line against Honiara East. Robert Laua and McPhillip Aisa settled on a supporting role for Honiara East as Bollen Auhuki stole the show with the second hat trick of the day.
Honiara East were by a slim 2 – 1 margin after the first third courtesy of a goal each from Phillip Houtatarau and Auhuki. Michael Boso was Western Kikio’s goal scorer. The second third saw the score lines level at 3-all as Western Kikio added 2 through Tutizama Tanito and Ben Hibiscus and Auhuki got his second for Honiara East.
The final period saw Western Kikio drive past Honiara East with 2 more goals from Hibiscus for his hat trick to total 5 for the game. Their opponents fell just shot by a goal despite Auhuki’s third just after coming back from the break.
The group matches continue tomorrow.

Related posts