Solomon Football > News > Telekom S-League > Western United 2 – Malaita Kingz 0

Western United 2 – Malaita Kingz 0

Western United strengthened its defence with the inclusion of a number of players from JP Su’uria players including John Iani and former national goalkeeper Felix Ray Jnr. who proved to one of the differences in the game.
Malaita Kingz dominated the first 7 – 10 minutes of the game using the strength and speed of their flankers to keep the Western United defenders running but crosses were not met with precision but some good shots came from strikers forcing Ray Jnr. into action early.
Eleven minutes of play passed before Western United were able to register some serious moves into their opponent’s half.
Kim Tegerobo got close to grabbing the opener for Malaita Kingz when a through pass sees him press towards the Western United penalty box but he stumbles just before he could take the shot and ball rolls safely to a defender to clear and a few minutes later Trevor Suinao goes close connecting a powerful volley to a corner kick but it goes just wide.
Heavy rain started pouring down on Lawson Tama just before halftime and this affected the flow of the game as players from both sides started making mistakes on the wet surface and play became dangerous and the referee’s whistle was a welcome signal to end the first half.
The second half started like the first with Malaita Kingz dominating proceedings and they almost grabbed the lead when Suinao sets up a cross for Charles Irobina but his header is met with a good save from Felix Ray Jnr. in the 51st minute.
From there the game moved into a period in which both Malaita Kingz and Western United just exchanged possession and shots at goal but neither side could find their way through.
Western United were able to breakthrough in the 74th minute from a corner kick which was originally tapped out by the Malaita Kingz goalkeeper but Michael Boso headed the ball back in to the net put his side 1 – 0 in front.
Seven minutes later Western United were 2 – 0 front after substitute Coleman Makau made a good run down the flanks and crossed the ball for Nathan Kera to score.
With only a few minutes left Malaita Kingz fought hard to get on the score sheet and came close twice from 2 corner kicks but Felix Ray Jnr. did well to block the attempts that came and to safeguard their lead and finish the game with 3 points.
The game was even throughout save for 2 goals which Western United took and other areas like possession and shots on goal were slightly level so the end result could have gone either way.
Western United have only 2 days of rest before taking Hana on Tuesday while Malaita Kingz have 1 full week to recover before their match against Solomon Warriors at 4:00pm on Sunday 27 February.

Related posts