Round 3 Review

Even the Marist Fire v KOSSA match that opened the round on Saturday was not spared as the match was halted for a more than an hour after the rain flooded the pitch at Lawson Tama 20 minutes into play. By the time play was stopped both sides had scored and the score line was 2 – 1 in favour of KOSSA. John Feraka scored in the 7th minute for Marist Fire but the lead was cancelled by Paul Wale with his 15th minute strike. Five (5) minutes later Stanton Hila put KOSSA in front but soon after his goal the referee called for the match to be stopped until the condition of the pitch improved.
The match resumed after a long wait and but the wet conditions did not help the football both teams were playing. KOSSA were trying to increase their lead but found that their passes were not working and Marist Fire were also struggling to build up an effective attack. Defending also became a nightmare as the wet surface sped up the ball. Ironically, the conditions helped Marist Fire to level the scores at 2-all just seconds before time with a goal from Primo Maeke.
Malaita Kingz were surprisingly on the right side of a 1 – 0 score line against Hana in the first match on Sunday. Charles Irobina bagged his third goal of the season in the win finishing a Francis Saemala construction with clinical precision just 2 minutes before the halftime break. Hana had more chances in the game and could have equalised and overtaken Malaiata Kingz in the second half but staunch defending from the provincial side kept them in check. Joe Manu missed 3 free kicks and Tony Otini fared no better in a one-on-one with the Malaita Kingz goalkeeper.
The biggest win of the round was also Koloale’s biggest win of the season so far and Western United were on the receiving end of their plans for the day. Koloale were on their way after 16 minutes when Henry Fa’arodo fired home a pass from Benjamin Totori inside the box. However, within a minute Western United drew level with Commins Menapi scoring after intercepting a pass just outside the Koloale penalty box. Koloale regained the lead in the 32nd minute through Ian Paia who scored from outside the penalty box.
The second half of the match saw Koloale extend their dominance in the match with 2 more goals. Totori struck just 2 minutes after the halftime break to give Koloale a 3 – 1 lead which made matters more difficult for Western United. Totori struck again in stoppage time to seal the win with a classic striker’s goal in where he ran past both the last defender and the goalkeeper before sending his shot into the empty goal.
With results from this round Koloale have finally moved up to the top spot in the table with 6 points. A tally total they share with Hana, Western United and Malaita Kingz who sit second, third and fourth respectively in the league table. Real Kakamora are in the fifth position with 3 points and Solomon Warriors, who have the same number of points are sixth in the table. Marist Fire and KOSSA follow in the seventh and eight positions with 1 point each from 3 matches.
View the statistics here.

Related posts