Solomon Football > News > Telekom S-League 2011/12 > Western United 4 – KOSSA 2

Western United 4 – KOSSA 2

The former Solomon Islands international is Western United’s biggest signing this season and that faith is already paying dividends for the club. While he was not heavily involved in play throughout the match the big forward drew on his years of international experience to produce a penalty and two cool finishes late to take the score line to 4 – 2 in Western United’s favour at full time.
The match opened with fervour as Western United took control of the match early using short passes and quick runs past marking defenders. Four minutes into play they were up 1 – 0 when a long pass found Nathan Kera free and he let the ball roll past him before making the chase and finished with a shot past Severino Aefi. However, that was all that Western United could produce in the first half as the KOSSA defence shook into action.
Western United kept the pressure on KOSSA but it was no longer easy for any good passes through as George Wagena and Michael Sira made their presence felt by closing up their penalty area. At the other end of the park KOSSA were building confidence and had the three chances to equalise before Hudson Felani hit home the equaliser at 43 minutes for the 2 sides to go into the halftime break tied 1-all.
The second half was a see-saw for possession for both clubs as strong defending on either side turned the fight from the defensive area back into the midfield. Franco Ne’e and David Ramosaea were key for KOSSA in the midfield and when Ne’e exited midway through the second half their control of the area also weakened.
The momentum of the match lifted once again in the final 10 minutes as both sides went looking for the late winning goal. Western United regained the lead in the 83rd minute when Menapi was fouled by Stanton Hila and the referee pointed to the penalty spot. KOSSA players argued that the foul was committed outside the penalty area but the referee was unmoved and Menapi slotted in an easy one past Aefi.
That lead was short lived, however, as Harrison Mala beat Izomo Bird at the other end of the field within a minute. The chase was a long one for the 17 year old striker but he maintained his cool and shot past the advancing goalkeeper.
Western United were back in front in the 85th minute when Menapi hammered in a cross from Coleman Makau in a counterattacking move. The momentum was broken when George Wagena was red carded after picking up his second yellow card of the match. But Menapi was able to complete his hat trick in stoppage time with an individual goal.
KOSSA will play Hana in their second Telekom S-League match of the season on Saturday 5th November. Western United are scheduled to play Solomon Warriors on Sunday 6th November.

Related posts