Solomon Football > News > OFC Champions League 2010/11 > Koloale register first points in style

Koloale register first points in style

The Fijian club looked like they were going to repeat their win in Honiara when Valerio Nawatu turned one in from Sanni Issa’s wide cross to put the home side ahead after 11 minutes of play.
The turning point in the match came when Lautoka goalkeeper, Jone Sorolo, was given his marching orders after he elbowed Ian Paia and Koloale took home the benefit of the penalty through Jeffery Bule before making maximum use of their extra man advantage later in the match.
The incident also meant that Lautoka had to substitute an outfield player in order to be able to bring in their reserve goal keeper, Pramesh Prassad, and defender Jone Vono was the sacrifice for the day.
Things took a turn for the worse for Lautoka when Koloale defender, George Suri, hammered home a cross from a free kick to put his team 2 – 1 in front midway through the first half and despite calls for an offside match referee Mike Hester disagreed and allowed the goal.
Four minutes later Benjamin Totori made it 3 to 1 after a Peni Finau error allowed him to steal the ball and beat Prassad for his first of the match.
Taking with them their 3 – 1 lead into the halftime break the Koloale players knew that the game was far from over with a full 45 minutes yet to be clocked.
Ezra Sale, who replaced Ian Paia, just a minute before halftime was Koloale’s ‘live wire’ in the second stanza and after being penalised for his first attempt he made no mistake with his second after Totori set him up a with neat pass in the 52nd minute.
Totori was again on target when a group effort from his midfielders saw him cut through to score Koloale’s 5th goal for the day and giving his side a healthy 4 goal buffer in the process.
With about 20 minutes left to play Koloale was looking comfortable as the pressure weighed heavily on 10 man Lautoka to salvage something from the game.
However, the day belonged to Koloale and Totori completed his hat trick from the penalty spot after Kamal Hassan committed a foul inside his own 18 yard box to wrap up the game.
Totori admitted at the end of the match that the win was a long time coming for his side.
“For us we have been working on this win for a long time. We had tried very hard but it did not come. The team has been working on our mistakes and our weaknesses .I praise the boys for the first win and hopefully we can get more points in the competition. Against Lautoka our game plan was just go out enjoy the game and hope for a good outcome,” Totori said.
Koloale now have 3 points but they still sit at the bottom of the Group B table behind Hekari United who have 5 points and Lautoka and Amicale, both with 7 points, and may just make the finals playoff if they win their final 2 group matches and their opponents only draw theirs.
Amicale drew with Hekari United 3 – 3 in Port Vila in the other O-League Group B match of the day.
Lautoka: 1. Jone Sorolo (GK), 2. Krishna Samy, 3. Alvin Avinesh (C), 4. Semesa Doidoi, 11. Valerio Nawatu, 8. Malakai Waqa, 9. Leone Vurukania, 10. Sanni Issa, 13. Peni Finau, 14. Shameel Rao, 16. Jone Vonu
Reserves: 22. Pramesh Prasad (GK), 5. Siga Ali, 12. Kamal Hassan, 7. Samuela Drudru, 6. Isikeli Jeke
Koloale: 16. Shadrack Ramoni (GK), 4. Cecil Buru, 5. Samson Takayama, 17. George Suri, 7. Jeffery Bule, 9. Benjamin Totori, 11. Ian Paia, 15. Mostyn Beui, 23. Steven Anisim 25. Francis Lafai, 27. Joses Nawo
Reserves: 1. Eddie Ramo (GK), 10. Ezra Sale, 13. Lency Saeni, 19. Abraham Eke Junior, 30. Leonard Sale Olea
(Adapted from live-text updates at