Solomon Football > News > Telekom S-League > Western United 1 – Marist Fire 2

Western United 1 – Marist Fire 2

The result takes their league total to 14 points but they still finish on the seventh position, ahead only of Real Kakamora who managed only 2 points throughout the season. Western United will be sorely disappointed in missing out but can be congratulated for a fine season performance which surpassed everyone’s expectations.
The opening 10 minutes of the game has failed to produce a goal as less than convincing passes from midfielders on either side frustrate both their forwards and their fans. Marist Fire has so far been able to suppress the barrage from Western United but they themselves are not faring any better past the centre of the park.
Abraham Iniga was denied by a quick challenge from Western United goalkeeper, Michael Maenu, in the 17th minute after a through ball was not picked up by their defenders. However, Western United move into a counter offensive and Marist Fire are saved by a Abraham Maezama’s clearance in front of goal.
Western United breakthrough with the opening goal in the 21st minute when Nathan Kera and Leonard Rokoto combine inside the 18 yard box to beat Navusu Kitu. A long ball from Aleck Wickham at the back set up the opportunity for them and the finish was not clinical but had the same value nonetheless.
Ten minutes after Western United get their goal Maezama equalises for Marist Fire. The initial drive was by Iniga and the ball rolled to Maezama whom the Western United defenders thought were offside. Unfortunately for them, the assistant referee’s flag stayed down and Maezama was given a free shot on goal.
Level at 1-all going into the break with the score line reflecting quite accurately the proceedings of the first half a lot was expected from both sides in the second half.
Western United were disorganised in defence when the second half started and allowed Marist Fire 2 goal scoring opportunities in quick succession but Iniga was not able to convert on both occasions. They appear to have lost control of the midfield and Marist Fire were building a foothold through Max Ruku in the centre making it difficult for their strikers to receive any passes from their teammates.
Marist Fire took the upper hand in the game after the hour mark in terms of possession but still they are not able to account for it in the score sheet. Their opponents are struggling in the midfield as their playmaker, Leonard Rokoto, was moved to the backline after Brian Pita left the field with an injury.
A rare opportunity came for Western United in the 79th minute when Kera got past his marker with a shot but the ball was cleared off the goal line with the goalkeeper already beaten. Substitute Engalei Saepio went close a few minutes later with another close range shot but Joachim Waroi got his touch on the ball slowing it down enough for Kitu to make an easy save.
Marist Fire’s goal scorer, Maezama, was on target again for his side in the 83rd minute but Maenu was there for another fine save. However, Maenue was not able to read Waroi’s shot 2 minutes later and Marist Fire claimed the lead with only 5 minutes left on the clock.
As the clock slowly ticked away so did Western United’s chances of salvaging anything from the game. Marist Fire fell back to defending and they managed to hold their lead until the final whistle came to their rescue.

Related posts