Round 2 Review

A taste of things to come was provided on Saturday when Hana raced past KOSSA 4 – 1 in the first fixture of the round. On field the match was technically a close one as both sides shared possession fairly but Hana took their chances while KOSSA saw their’s go to waste. Tony Otini was Hana’s hero of the match scoring a hat-trick in the first half and his coach, Rex Masuaku, was full of praise for the striker at the end of the match.
“Otini played well today and I think it was his day. He needs a little improvement with his composure in front of goal but am thoroughly satisfied with what he delivered for his club today,” Masuaku said about his hat-trick hero.
Otini’s first goal was set up by Moussa Kourouma who found Trevor Suinao with his corner kick on the right. Suinao then placed a low driven pass to Otini in the box and he slotted the ball into the back of the net. The trio then combined again to score Hana’s second of the match. Otini completed his hat-trick before just before halftime with a header after Remarx Kwaria crossed for him from just over the halfway line. KOSSA fought back strongly in the second half but they failed to take most of their chances. Paul Wale scored their only goal in the 70th minute but Suinao’s goal not long after took the game beyond their reach as Hana reached the finish line with a comfortable 4 – 1 lead.
Koloale were in need of a morale booster after back to back losses in the Telekom S-League and the O-League against Solomon Warriors and Auckland City respectively, when they took on Malaita Kingz. While they ended with a 3 – 1 win, the match story was a different affair as the champions were forced to work for their win by a composed Malaita Kingz side which was not content with allowing the ‘big boys’ a walk in the park. For Malaita Kingz the match will draw them greater confidence as their only problem throughout was scoring having played excellently in most other areas.
It took 35 minutes for Koloale’s first clear attempt and with it came the first goal of the match. Henry Fa’arodo ran free from his marker when Joses Nawo’s corner kick came and the midfielder headed the ball into the back of the net. That also was the only goal of the first half. Malaita Kingz were forceful in the opening stage of the second half and were on level with Koloale just before the hour mark courtesy of Jack Jethro. Then followed a period of desperation for Koloale until Benjamin Totori spectacularly restored their command with a shot to the top corner in the 75th minute. Koloale’s victory was all but secured when Fa’arodo struck for the second time in the game with a free kick that curved around the Malaita Kingz wall and past their keeper.
The win brings with it an important 3 points for Koloale after their negative start against Solomon Warriors. That said, there is a lot of room for improvement in their game and Malaita Kingz certainly pointed out a number of defensive frailties in the team.
Western United were all smiles after their victory against Solomon Warriors on Sunday, one that their coach Stefan Metanolmski described as a win of character. However, with the victory came the cost of a red card against Leonard Rokoto. The midfielder was given his marching orders after picking up a second yellow card for back chatting at referee, Matthew Taro. Rokoto will miss their next match which is against Koloale.
The only goal in the affair came from Mostyn Sanga who found time and space inside the Solomon Warriors penalty area to slot in the winner after 30 minutes. The goal came from a counterattack led by Moffat Kilifa who found Sanga unmarked in the box and the normally quiet midfielder finished after fumbling his first attempt.
Solomon Warriors were in control for most of the match except for the momentary lapse that Sanga made full use of. Chances fell to the likes of Jerry Donga and Dennis Ifunaoa but the bulk of their better opportunities came from free kicks which Judd Molea failed to put way. With Rokoto out of the picture early in the second half Solomon Warriors gained an extra-man advantage but unfortunately for them Western United had dropped into a 5-3-1 formation to protect their lead. Solomon Warriors spent the remainder of the game trying to crack the Western United resolve without success and their backline refused to move out of their defensive zone. Western United progressed past the halfway mark only four times in the remaining 40 minutes and the final whistle could not have arrived sooner for them.
The final match of the round was not as exciting as the first 3 but it produced a number of firsts for the Telekom S-League. It was the first match in the competition to have 2 penalties awarded to the same team in regulation time but more importantly from a Real Kakamora point of view it was their first win in the Telekom S-League. For the whole of the last season Real Kakamora only managed 3 draws, 2 in the league and 1 in the championship series.
The man who led Real Kakamora to their first win, Barnabas Loloito, said that the win is a huge milestone for the club and something that they hope they can build upon this season.
“The club management and players are very happy with our first win. The club has been looking for this win for a long time and this is a big moment for our management, players and supporters. We hope to capitalise on the positive energy from this win and improve our fortunes in the TSL (Telekom S-League),” Loloito said.
Marist Fire were on the right side of a 2-nil lead when halftime arrived. Primo Maeke was first on the scoreboard when he struck home a loose ball inside the Real Kakamora penalty area. Matters went further south for Real Kakamora when Tutizama Tanito increased Marist Fire’s lead to 2 just before the halftime break.
Real Kakamora were a stronger side in the second half and they pressured Marist Fire until they found a way through not once but 3 times. Three (3) minutes after the break Johan Doiwale set them on their way with a spot kick after Nicholas Muri was tackled inside the box. Ian Ngahugari then levelled terms in the 63rd minute when a poor clearance bounced in front of him and he hammered it all the way into the net. Twelve (12) minutes before time Doiwale again pounced from the penalty spot to give his team the winner.
Hana leads the race with 6 points after round 2 of the Telekom S-League but their claim is only by way of a slightly better goal difference than runners-up Western United who share the same number of points with them. On third place is Koloale with 3 points and they are followed by Real Kakamora, Solomon Warriors and Malaita Kingz. KOSSA and Marist Fire are without any points and they sit at the bottom the table.
Click here for table.
Telekom S-League Fixtures for Round 3.
9. Sat 12/11/2011 14:00 Marist Fire v. KOSSA
10. Sat 12/11/2011 16:00 Real Kakamora v. Solomon Warriors
11. Sun 13/11/2011 14:00 Malaita Kingz v. Hana
12. Sun 13/11/2011 16:00 Koloale v. Western United

Related posts