Solomon Football > News > 2018 OFC Champions League > Warriors advance to quarterfinals

Warriors advance to quarterfinals

AS Dragon and Solomon Warriors qualified for the quarterfinals of the OFC Champions League after a 2-1 win to Warriors over the host club confirmed them both in the top two of Group B in Tahiti on Saturday (local time).

The three points lifted Warriors above Erakor Golden Star who were held to a 2-2 draw by AS Lossi in the opening match, but the Honiara outfit couldn’t find an additional goal to leapfrog Dragon at the top of the table and claim home advantage when the quarterfinal draw is made.

Instead, Dragon claim that honour by merit of an additional goal scored throughout the group stage after finishing level on points and goal difference with the Solomon Island champions.

AS Dragon coach Timiona Asen’s mixed feelings at the result ultimately gave way to a satisfaction at his club’s progression to the playoff stages as group winners.

“I’m a bit disappointed with this result because our first objective was to win tonight and to play right until the end,” Asen said.

“I think our players were a little bit thrown by the Solomons’ game. I’m happy to have qualified, and we’ve had confirmation that we will host the quarterfinal and I’ll try and rebuild the team for the next stage.”

Kensi Tangis put Warriors ahead in the 22nd minute but his side couldn’t put the hosts away with Dragon goalkeeper Gilbert Meriel in stubborn form to prevent further damage.

Rainui Tze-Yu equalised for the home side with 13 minutes remaining but Judd Molea restored the lead from the penalty spot in the 83rd minute as Hennel Tehaamoana earned his marching orders for a second caution leaving his side a man short for the final stages.

Salomon Tevapauhu also joined him back in the dressing room after he too earned a red card for a second bookable offence in time added on.

Having seen Erakor drop points earlier in the day, Moses Toata’s Warriors side could have progressed with a draw but a two-goal winning margin would have earned a quarterfinal in Honiara.

“We came into this game, we wanted to win because we needed to qualify,” said Toata.

“The boys played hard, they did what they needed to and got the win. They fought for every ball.”


The OFC Champions League now takes a week-long breather before resuming with Group D action from Honiara’s Lawson Tama Stadium on February 24 followed by Group C from Trusts Stadium in Auckland a day later.

Related posts