National team coach Wim Rijsbergen has named a mixture of youth and experience for the three-week camp in the Netherlands next week.
During a brief visit last week, Rijsbergen and compatriot Ruud de Groot observed home-based players in a series of trial matches in Honiara purposely to name the travelling team.
The Dutchman was impressed with the qualities he saw in most of the players which give him a tough task to select those who will make the trip.
“I think it was a fair trial for everybody, I think it’s a nice mixture with some talented young players and the older guys with the experience with a lot of international caps,” he said.
“With this group, we will try to make the best team especially during our time in the Netherlands.
“I know we will play a couple of games in the Netherlands and on our way back an international friendly which is a good preparation before the Pacific Games.”
Most of the players who made the cut are a mainstay in the national set-up with the likes of Philip Mango, Haddis Aengari, Emmanuel Poila, Michael Boso, Gagame Feni, Jerry Donga, Tutizama Tanito, Joses Nawo and veteran striker Benjamin Totori.
New inclusions in the team are former national U-19s Patrick Taroga and John Aeta.
Henderson Eels defender Andrew Rarangia is also back in the team after his brief stint with the national team in the final stage of the FIFA World Cup qualifiers in 2017.
Labasa forward Dennis Ifunaoa retains his place after his impressive performances in the international friendlies against Vanuatu and Chinese Taipei.
Earning a call up to the national side since 2013 is Andrew Abba who had an impressive season with Waitakere United in New Zealand’s ISPS Handa Premiership.
National U-17 wonder-kid Raphael Lea’i is named in the standby group of players due to his study commitment with Scots College in Wellington.
Raynick Laeta also earns a place in the travelling team after his recent called up for the international friendlies against Vanuatu and Chinese Taipei.
Meanwhile, a team of 18 home-based players and two coaches will leave on Monday 13 May 2019 for the Netherland’s camp while foreign-based players will join the team later on a date yet to be confirmed.
NATIONAL TEAM FOR NETHERLAND CAMP
- Philip MANGO (Solomon Warriors)
- Desmond TUTU (Henderson Eels)
- Timothy MAEARASIA (Solomon Warriors)
- Haddis AENGARI (Solomon Warriors)
- Allen PETER (Solomon Warriors)
- Emmanuel POILA (Solomon Warriors)
- Andrew RARANGIA (Henderson Eels)
- Richard IROMANA (KOSSA FC)
- Boni PRIDE (Henderson Eels)
- John AETA (Marist FC)
- Atkin KAUA (Solomon Warriors)
- Jerry DONGA (Solomon Warriors)
- Patrick TAROGA (Marist FC)
- Alwin HOU (Solomon Warriors)
- Feni GAGAME (Suva FC)
- Michael BOSO (Suva FC)
- Dennis IFUNAOA (Labasa FC)
- Micah LEA’ALAFA (Auckland City)
- Tutizama TANITO (Hekari United)
- Joses NAWO (Henderson Eels)
- Raynick LAETA (Henderson Eels)
- Benjamin TOTORI (Lautoka FC)
- Andrew ABBA (Waitakere United)
- Joel NANAGO (GK) (Henderson Eels)
- Fred FAKARI (Solomon Warriors)
- Frank KABUI (Malaita Kingz)
- Tigi MOLEA (Solomon Warriors)
- Junior AENGARI (Solomon Warriors)
- Darold KAKASI (Ba FC)
- Raphael LEA’I (Wellington Phoenix academy)