Solomon Football > News > Telekom S-League 2011/12 > Malaita Kingz 2 – Solomon Warriors 1

Malaita Kingz 2 – Solomon Warriors 1

The Koloale v. KOSSA fixture last Sunday was an upset of sorts because few expected the latter to lose by 7-1. However, just 2 days later and Koloale were on the receiving end themselves when they were humbled 3-2 by last season’s wood-spooners Real Kakamora.
Malaita Kingz proved that the days of ‘easy rides’ over them are long gone when they gave Solomon Warriors a run for their money starting from the opening whistle. They now move back into second position, briefly occupied by Solomon Warriors after their midweek win over KOSSA, with 13 points from this win today and they remain behind Western United who are on 15 but have the opportunity to extend their lead when they take on Hana tomorrow.
Malaita Kingz assistant coach, Jason Siru, said that their win came on the back of a lot of hard work put in by the players and the team management this week.
“We concentrated our effort throughout the week for the game today and we put in 3 days of tactical training to get this result. Our aim was to be prepared to deal with the strong Solomon Warriors midfield department which can switch their game rapidly while in attack. We did a lot of man to man marking on them and, thus, we were able to quickly close the passing channels down whenever they had the ball,” Siru said.
A stroke of luck was also part of the reason for Malaita Kingz’s win as they were given the opportunity to watch Solomon Warriors play Marist Fire on Sunday.
“Because we are based in Malaita we do not have the opportunity to see the other teams in the Telekom S-League play but on Sunday we were able to watch Solomon Warriors against Marist Fire because our trip back to Auki was cancelled due to mechanical problems with the ferry. This also helped us to understand more of how they played,” Siru said.
Solomon Warriors had its full arsenal of goal scorers upfront but that was not enough to do the job. Signs that it may not be their day came quite early when both Jerry Donga and Dennis Ifunaoa failed to score in a 2-on-1 against the Malaita Kingz goalkeeper, Leon Fox. Earlier, Micah Lea’alafa beat his marker to the near post but his attempt for the inside of the far post was off.
The experienced Kidstone Billy did not suffer from the jitters his colleagues were dealing with and he homed his first attempt of the game easily after 23 minutes of play much to the pleasure of the Solomon Warriors fans watching the game. Donga provided the cut-back pass to Billy and the forward slotted the ball past Fox who had survived earlier tests.
Solomon Warriors pushed hard to extend their lead before the halftime break but Malaita Kingz had patched up the little hole they found earlier in the match and were in better control at the back. Thus, Solomon Warriors exited the pitch for the breather with only a slender lead while their opponents were full of thoughts of how they could get back in the game.
Returning in the second half Malaita Kingz had the air of confidence about them and 7 minutes after the restart they were on par with Solomon Warriors. Michael Taeman went directly for goal from a free kick and his shot just escaped the height of the Solomon Warriors defensive wall but not the cross bar and just like that the scores were 1-1.
After making several poor attempts on goal the Malaita Kingz executed a neat counterattack down the left and George Ladusu crossed the ball over for Taeman who was waiting in the Solomon Warriors penalty box. Totally unmarked Taeman had all the time in the world and he finished with a header past the goalkeeper to the far post.
As the match drew to a close it was clear that they day belonged to Malaita Kingz as they followed up their second goal with more attempts. However, Taeman’s double proved to be enough when the referee blew the final whistle.
Already in uncharted water Malaita Kingz are relishing their new found success in the Telekom S-League and they may be able to take with them their claim to the second spot away for the Christmas break which starts as early as tomorrow.
Siru wishes to put down their improved performance this season to the changes which the team made in the line-up and also highlighted Terry Oiaka’s attendance of the Oceania Football Confederation (OFC) C-License coaching course in October as a major part of their success story.
“This season we brought in younger and educated players and I believe this helped us to play a game that is tactic driven. Terry’s participation in the OFC C-Licence course also helped us introduce more modern training drills and plus the support from qualified technical people in Malaita we have made some big improvements which we are happy with at the moment,” Siru said.
Malaita Kingz also became the first team in the Telekom S-League to complete their matches in the first round of the league competition after the game today. Including today’s match they have now played 7 matches and will have another 7 matches in the second round of the league which kicks of February next year.

Related posts