Solomon Football > News > Telekom S-League > Marist Fire escape Western comeback

Marist Fire escape Western comeback

Despite missing a lot of his top players in the starting line up Marist Fire head coach Augustine Omearo still had a number of experienced players in his squad despite their quite young age as was the case for his counterpart Stefan Metanolmski who is coaching a Solomon Islands club for the first time.
The starting minutes did not go so well for Western United who had to put up with a constant barrage of attack coming from the Marist Fire forward who led by Bentley Nalangu who was having a fine day in front.
Their breakthrough came in the 12th minute when right flanker Michael Patiti found space to shoot and he made no mistake with his scorcher that Western United goalie Michael Maenu could not get to in time.
Moments after Patiti’s goal Marist found themselves 2 goals ahead when Lency Sale scored in a similar fashion to his team mate to put the Western United side in a precarious position after only 19 minutes of play.
While Western United had its moments of class they were not able to register anything in the first half but Marist themselves might not have been so happy with their own efforts since they had opportunities to put the game beyond reach but they did not.
The second half was a much more lively occasion compared to the first half with both teams fighting hard to find the back of the net first.
Western United look much more organised and the control of the game was shifting to their favour as they gained more possession and more time in their opponent’s half.
Just 4 minutes after halftime Western United got their first goal of the game with Junior Selwyn’s strike which he took with great precision to beat Navusu Kitu who otherwise had a great day at goal for Marist Fire.
In the space of 50 seconds Western United pounced again to grab the equaliser and this time hardworking flanker, Nathan Kera, scored taking his shot from just outside the 6 yard box after a goalmouth scramble.
Marist Fire made some substitutions to strengthen their attack and slowly but steadily started stealing away the shine from the Western United midfield to return the favour they had been receiving since the start of the second stanza.
After such a fine passage of play the Western United players lost concentration and starting making mistakes and one such mistake cost them dearly in the 81st minute when Derol Melo allowed Arnold Keni to cross the ball for Nalangu who was in a dangerous position and he scored an easy goal to put Marist Fire back in front at 3 – 2.
An agonising wait for the whistle then came for Marist who had to fight off several more offensive moves from their opponents before the referee called full time.
Marist Fire will meet Real Kakamora in the both clubs second match of the Telekom S-League on Tuesday.
Western United will meet fellow provincial side Malaita Kingz in the 3:00pm match on Saturday.

Related posts