Solomon Football > News > Telekom S-League > Solomon Warriors 2 – Western United 1

Solomon Warriors 2 – Western United 1

Kidston Billy was Solomon Warriors’ hero of the day putting away a penalty in the first half and in the dying stages of the game sank United’s hope for a draw with a stunning individual goal that electrified their fans in the stands.
The start was in the favour of Solomon Warriors who controlled possession and pushed Western United tight in their own area but promising shots on goal did not come for them as tough defending from Aleck Wickham and Timothy Joe kept them at bay.
Western United almost got on the score sheet in the 13th minute when John Anita crossed in for Nathan Kera who headed wide right in front of goal.
Carrol Kakate gave Solomon Warriors their first real scoring opportunity when he was fouled in the box by Jilini Alo and Billy made no mistake, putting away neatly the penalty to put his side in front.
However, within minutes Western United drew level through Kera who picked up a long pass and raced into the Solomon Warriors 18 yard box before turning the shot past Paul Huia.
Level at half time there was still everything to play for in the second half but both teams started quite slowly with passes not going the right way and this lead to frustration for players on both sides as fouls and cards started flying.
Solomon Warriors were more determined to fight for the 3 points and surely they started clocking up shots on goal with Bata Furai going close in the 60th minute and Billy heading into the side netting just minutes later.
However, the moment the Solomon Warriors fans were waiting for came in the 76th minute when Billy danced his way towards the United penalty box and made a false turn before hammering the shot past Felix Ray Jnr. who was moving in the wrong direction and could do little to prevent the goal.
Solomon Warriors almost got another goal 2 minutes later from a James Naka bicycle kick but Ray Jnr. quickly moved into place to save the shot.
Western United’s chance to draw level again came in the 82nd minute when John Anita’s corner was not picked out by the Solomon Warriors defenders and the ball went all the way to Kera on the far post who put his header wide for the second time in the game.
Solomon Warriors were once again winners and the result puts them in second place in the league ladder with 19 points overall.

Related posts