Round 6 Review

Western United left it till late to secure their win after holding out against a strong challenge from Malaita Kingz. Malaita Kingz were the brighter side as the match rolled into play and they were up in front after only 8 minutes when Michael Taeman scored with a break though the center. However, Mostyn Sanga levelled for Western United before Commins Menapi and Coleman Makau settled the matter for them.
Western United are five to the good from 6 matches this season and have totalled 15 points in the table in the process and lead Malaita Kingz who are in second place by 5 points. With more or less the same players from the last season their success at the moment can be put down to their coach Stefan Metanomski who has instilled stronger discipline in his players this season and the side is turning into a serious contender. The only 2 clubs who have a chance of overtaking them before the end of the first half of the season are Koloale and Solomon Warriors with the latter already sounding a warning with a massive win against Marist Fire on Sunday.
Real Kakamora are putting behind the memory of the last season as they picked up another win on Saturday. This time it was Hana who fell victim to the renewed wave of determination Real Kakamora is riding on. Nicholas Muri put Real Kakamora in front but Tony Otini drew one back for Hana to keep them in the game. However, an own-goal in the second half on the part of Martin Saleimanu saw Real Kakamora escape with a win.
Spotting more purpose in their game this season Real Kakamora are no longer the easy beats of the Telekom S-League. The restructured management team is already paying dividends for the club that is backed mainly by Makira man, Leonard Paia. This season the club has at its disposal 3 coaches, one of whom is solely responsible for devising game strategies depending on who their opponent is. With 2 wins from 4 games they are already performing at 50 per cent win rate and already they have lifted themselves out from the dreaded bottom position which they occupied for the whole of the last season.
Solomon Warriors saw 2 of their matches postponed due to bad weather and they made a sort of a ‘return’ to the Telekom S-League when they took on the struggling Marist Fire outfit in the 2:00pm match on Sunday. The result was a near total drubbing of Marist Fire who let in 5 goals in the first half and an additional 4 in the second for a hefty loss. For their troubles Marist Fire did manage to score twice in the game to move the score line to a less disastrous but still forgettable 9 goals to 2.
Midfield ace Judd Molea set the pace for Solomon Warriors with a text-book free kick and from there was little solace for Marist Fire’s national U-17 team goalkeeper, Phillip Mango. Chris Tafoa struck in the 21st minute with a header and then again in the 25th minute before wrapping up his hat-trick with a volley just after the break. However, that was not all as both Dennis Ifunaoa and Jerry Donga added doubles and national futsal forward Micah Lea’alafa also got in on the act with a strike in the 52nd minute. Marist Fire replied through Augustine Tagana and Jay Kepi but the climb back was already too steep and that was all that they could muster before the referee ended the game.
The exit of both Lea’alafa and Ifunaoa midway through the second half somewhat dented the attacking potential of Solomon Warriors but the win was massive by any means. In terms of points the win took Solomon Warriors’ total to 9 points and they maintain their position behind Koloale who are in third place. With their proactive approach in the match Solomon Warriors move from a cool team to the hottest outfit in the Telekom S-League and they are set to pressure Western United and Malaita Kingz for the top spot as the league rolls on.
Koloale wrapped up round 6 with another big win when they breezed past KOSSA 7-1 in the second match on Sunday. Both James Naka and Benjamin Totori booked hat-tricks in the match, thus, setting a new record for the hat-tricks during a single match in the Telekom S-League.
KOSSA showed strong resolve in the first half hour but things fell apart when Francis Lafai found the keys to the gate with a 30-yard strike in the 38th minute. Naka added the second just 2 minutes later and Koloale were on their way with a 2-nil lead at the break.
KOSSA were considerably less motivated in the second half but they were able to fend off Koloale until the 61st minute when Naka made it 3-nil and 3 minutes later Totori scored to take the scores to 4-0. Koloale’s spree was punctuated by Johnson Wanefai’s lone goal for KOSSA after much hard work from the winger on the left. However, more goals were to come as Naka took his tally to 3 and Totori achieved the same when he added 2 more to his name before fulltime.
The competitiveness of the Telekom S-League continues to rise after each round and it does not matter anymore who the opponent is as Real Kakamora proved to Hana. The race to finish the first round in the top position will come alive this weekend as Western United and Solomon Warriors up the pressure on each other.
View statistic here.

Related posts