Solomon Football > News > Telekom S-League > Solomon Warriors 1 – Marist Fire 0

Solomon Warriors 1 – Marist Fire 0

Solomon Warriors were missing key players George Lui and George Kwanae who were serving suspensions while Marist Fire had their top team intact for the clash.
James Naka was Solomon Warriors’ strong performer of the day starting off as a striker before shifting to the midfield and then finishing the game as a defender and he made his mark as early as the first minute with a powerful attempt that brought out an excellent save from Navusu Kitu.
Chances for either side came few and far between for both sides in the first half but Solomon Warriors were claiming a little more of the ball and could have gone ahead after 25 minutes when Dennis Ifunaoa caught up with the rebound from Peter Taloga’s shot but Kitu recovered quickly to steal the ball away.
A few minutes later Ifunaoa sends another ball towards goal after Jamie Molea sets up a lovely through pass for him but once again Kitu is there to make the save.
Marist Fire’s best chances for a goal in the first half came just before the halftime break firstly from Ben Hibiscus who went for goal from inside the penalty box but Hadisi Aengari got one foot to the ball to clear it away but it only went as far as Joachim Waroi who sent his shot straight to Alfred Ali for an easy save by the Solomon Warriors goalkeeper.
Solomon Warriors and Marist Fire brought back with them more determination in the second half giving it more life than the first but again both team’s defences proved to be strong enough to handle the pressure until late in the match when a momentary lapse gave the former their winning goal.
Chances in the second half were in favour of Solomon Warriors but Marist Fire also had their opportunities which, unfortunately for them, were not completed including one from Bentley Nalangu who could have done better with his shot 20 minutes after the restart.
Solomon Warriors finally broke the deadlock in the 69th minute with Ifunaoa providing the goal from a cross he let bounce on the ground before hammering it into the back of the net past Kitu who had done extremely well up to this point.
The goal gave Solomon Warriors players more energy and they worked harder to get the important buffer goal but nothing came despite their best efforts.
Marist Fire almost equalised in the dying minutes through Arnold Keni who fired from well outside the 18 yard box but Alfred Ali was up to the challenge tipping the ball over the cross bar for a corner kick which ended up in a free kick for Solomon Warriors inside their 6-yard box.
The final whistle sealed the victory for the Solomon Warriors which takes them to fourth place in the table.

Related posts