Solomon Football > News > Telekom S-League > Hana 2 – Marist Fire 2

Hana 2 – Marist Fire 2

Hana has struggled in the opening stages of the league and while they performed well in their round 2 match against Solomon Warriors their loss to Malaita Kingz last week somewhat dampened hopes for a resurgence, however, today’s performance saw Hana regain some pride and issue a warning to the other giants in the competition about taking it easy against them.
The start belonged to Hana and forward Tony Otini who returned from injury soon became problematic for the Marist Fire defenders with his pace but the first attempt at goal came from Marist Fire’s Bentley Nalangu who latched onto a cross for a header but it went just wide and into the side netting.
Hana scored the first of the four goals in the match in the 16th minute when quick one-two passes gave Godwin Fugui space to send a through pass to the lurking Otini who advanced towards the Marist Fire 6-yard box before firing past Navusu Kitu.
Otini again went for goal a few minutes later but his shot went wide and Marist Fire were able to regain momentum to look for the equaliser.
Nalangu stood up for Marist Fire in the 27th minute to score the equaliser from a Abraham Maezama cross which he timed well enough to give his forward an easy job of slotting the ball home and draw the score line to 1 – 1.
Hana’s approach was to break their opponents down right at the front and in the midfield and this was effective in cutting the Marist Fire supply to their forwards and giving themselves more opportunities to go for goal at the other end of the field.
This worked well for Hana and 10 minutes after Nalangu equalised they regained the lead through Otini who picked up the ball after Kitu fumbled it and drew wide until he saw his space before shooting into the back of the net.
The halftime break could not come too soon for Marist Fire who really needed to work out something to shut down the rampant Hana midfielders.
Hana were again taking the game to Marist Fire in the second stanza like they did in the first and Otini took a chance with a long range shot but it did not dip quickly enough and went over the cross bar for a goal kick.
Marist Fire were able to ease the Hana attack a little bit but they were not faring well in the scoring department with players missing chances including Nalangu who squandered 2 and substitute Peter Timi who fumbled at the last moment.
However, Marist Fire were given a lifeline in extra time when the advancing Nalangu was brought down by Alex Maekai in the penalty box and referee Gerald Oiaka pointed towards the penalty spot.
Joachim Waroi took the kick and made no mistake against Bartholomew Fisiniu to ensure that they took something home from the match.
Hana’s fine performance was marred by the sending off of Joe Manu following Waroi’s penalty goal for dissent towards the referee.

Related posts